Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Iron & Wine at the Athenaeum



Set List

  1. The Trapeze Swinger
  2. Jezebel
  3. Peace Beneath The City
  4. Innocent Bones
  5. Pagan Angel And A Borrowed Car
  6. Lovesong Of The Buzzard
  7. Each Coming Night
  8. Woman King
  9. Wolves (Song of the Shepherd's Dog)
  10. oarsum jam session
  11. Boy With A Coin
  12. Sodom, South Georgia
  13. House By The Sea
  14. The Devil Never Sleeps
  15. White Tooth Man
  16. Upward Over The Mountain
  17. Resurrection Fern


Sam Beam looked like the living 60's. He has so much hair, he's like a bear. Throw water at him and I bet he'd halve in size. Can play slide guitar like nobody's business, and a voice so tender I could sleep on it. When at last the whole band started jamming, they filled the theatre with this incredible full-bodied sound that was crisp and clear and precise. It's a sound that has evolved far from the folky single guitars of the earlier albums. Hell yes I cried. In the first song. And the second song. Those two have always set me off. They're better live than I could have hoped for.

They're playing again tomorow at the Corner, and I'm more than little tempted to go. But that'd mean bailing on a couple of friends who would guilt trip me to the ends of the earth if I did. Oarsum band alone, or pretty good band with people who make me laugh. Hmm...decisions.

No comments:

Post a Comment