Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Walk a mile couple of years in my shoes.



Pictured above is a pair of size...hell, I don't know what size they are, the labels have worn off. Black canvas Cover Your Bones Chuck-a-likes. With LIGHTNING BOLTS. PCHSHUUU! And velcro tabs at the top.

As far as footwear goes, they're pretty standard hip.

They are also exceptionally dear to me.

At the beginning of 2010, coming up to the end of my five weeks roaming through Chile and Argentina, it came to the attention of the group that METALLICA WERE PLAYING IN BUENOS AIRES the night before we were due to arrive.

Thus, the only option was for the bulk of us to leave the truck in Puerto Madryn, take the public bus to Trelew, an Aerolineas Argentinas flight from Trelew to Buenos Aires, check in early to our hotel (which had never received our booking and thus also involved finding a hotel that had spare rooms), drinking beer in the ridiculously hot latino afternoon, taking the train to the stadium and GO OFF.

Like, OFF.

Which left me, while strolling around Puerto Madryn in my thongs and sweltering, wondering if I really wanted to wear my massive hiking boots to a stadium concert. Or my thongs.

Not interested.

So I bought these. I don't remember how much they were, I never could figure out the exchange rate, but I seem to recall it being something like $50AUD. As soon as I put them on I demanded my immediate company step on them, so that they weren't pristine. And then I wore them to a stadium concert and they got the snot stomped out of them.

Best.

A month later the rubber siding on both was cracked and the insole on the right had slipped. I figured they were cheap and nasty, and had served their purpose. Then I wore them all through China, Tibet and Nepal. And Melbourne. For the next couple years.

They have indeed served their purpose. Lightning bolts on my ankles, like Hermes, they've walked me over all the paths.



These I bought in Shibuya, Tokyo, back in 2007. I had a pair just the same when I was seven years old. Rainbow dinosaurs will walk me to new worlds.

1 comment: