Monday, February 18, 2008

white noise

When the city is abandoned, the view from my windows won’t change. The walls will still be streaked with pigeon shit and empty of decoration. The lack of sound won’t be apparent, because I can’t hear the city anyway. There will be no movement in that view, because there never is. I won’t be able to tell there’s no one left in Melbourne. When I’m in my apartment, I’m the only person in the world.

So, my advice to anyone about to start living on their own is this: have a TV, have an internet connection.

In the dark hours, they’re the only way to prove that the rest of the world really is out there.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous18/2/08 11:02

    ~waves from wherever she is in the great Out There~

    Which, come to think of it, does an excellent job of describing where I am. 'Out there'. Hmm.

    Startlingly a propos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH HOLY FUCK THERE'S A NADINE OUT THERE RUN FOR THE HILLS

    ReplyDelete