Wednesday, October 10, 2007



It's been one of those hilarious, stupid, amazing days.

This will probably be my last night of internet whilst in this endlessly amusing land. Absolutely certain the ryokan in Tokyo has none, very certain the onsen in Shiretoko has none, and relatively certain the hotel in Abashiri has none. The next you hear from me will probably be from Changi Airport in Singapore, as I whittle away the hours between leaving and arriving.

For six weeks, I've drowned myself in entirely new things, every single day. I've done only what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it. I've let whim lead me, and curiosity guide me, and have become so accustomed to this freedom that I know I'm taking it for granted.

For six weeks, I've been isolated by a language barrier, and I've adapted to this lifestyle of illiteracy. I've slept laid in nineteen different beds. I haven't had a decent cup of tea, and I don't mean green tea.

I'll be home on the 18th of October.

<3

5 comments:

  1. What an excellent adventure you've had, Tessa.

    Whim and curiosity are excellent guides, except they always leave you to find your own way back to wherever it is you started from... assuming you want to get back there, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stumbled on your blog via Jeff VanderMeer's site. Your comments usually have me busting at the sides over there, so I decided to check it out, and I have to say that I envy you to an almost imeasurable degree. It takes a lot of guts to do what you've been doing, and a sense of adventure most people would be afraid of indulging. You'll remember this the rest of your life, and when it's time to return to whatever you left behind . . . well, you'll probably be both thankful and filled with regret.
    Anyway, you've kept a wonderful journal of your experiences (and taking some strikingly beautiful photos to boot). Try not to think about going home for the time being. That's my two cents, anyhoo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris...ah, I'm not quite so carefree that I don't always make sure I know how to get back.

    Ennis, thanks! I'm not sure it takes a lot of guts to go and have fun (but it did take a lot of saving). I haven't posted even half of what I've done here, so plenty of post spammage when I'm home.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself to the significant degree that you clearly have done. You deserve it, and then some. :3

    ~pokepoke~ Plus you take some phenomenal pics. I've still got the bridge as my desktop, and it looks to be immovable at this point. *g*

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't take any credit for the photos. The camera does all the work. I just press the button.

    ReplyDelete