Saturday, February 11, 2012

Snow



There is a lot to be said regarding the inconveniences of snow, but being an Australian who did not make use of the ski season, I'm fairly certain it will take a great deal more snow and inconvenience before the novelty wears off.

It isn't only that it changes the whole world around you, changing the mood and flavour of any environment, nor how pretty the flakes are as they fall, although of course I love these qualities as well.

What I love best is how tactile an experience snow is. I love walking on snow, the way it crunches and crackles so satisfyingly underfoot. It has a wonderful give and at the same time, a perfect firmness as well. The way it moulds so perfectly to the pattern of any sole is just a little bit ridiculously delightful, and should I retrace my steps I can't help but examine all my footprints and be pleased and proud of their crispness. Except when I drag my heels, which is often it would seem. And, oh! The sound snow makes when tromped upon! I love it! The crunch, creak, grind, crackle, squeak and squawk, I love it! The same way I loved cracking acorns in Wilmington, and I stomp on gum cups back home, and curly dried bark.



I don't actually like touching snow. It is, unsurprisingly, very cold.

Snow is a storyteller. Today I went for a wander through Nottingham, and found a bowling green locked away and that square of unbroken white was asking to to be written upon. By birds, by rabbits, by dogs and by me.

When snow is fresh, it makes us explorers and pioneers, treading where no one has trod before.

4 comments:

  1. Snow is so pretty to look at. One day, I'll get myself to somewhere to watch it fall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. It seems miraculous, even though it is no different to rain, only colder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could this book of old sweetheart Hakon Mielche be of interest? (Safe link to Abebooks.com: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=hakon+mielche&kn=kangaroo&x=0&y=0 All about Australia, anno 1961!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet again you have described it so well that I could almost feel my feet crunching away in the snow as well. Just as well I'm not seeing as I'm currently barefoot.

    ReplyDelete