ENTER STAGE LEFT: a ginger nut in a grey and red striped top reading the latest issue of Weird Tales.
-total brain freeze.
- Blurt enthusiasm and approval of his choice in reading matter at him?
- Tell him I'm an editorial assistant and I'm incoherent at the sight of seeing a total stranger reading it in public?
- ...one of the issues I gave away on this here blog?
- Does this total stranger recognise me?
- This total stranger could know me from this blog.
- This total stranger could have no idea of my existence and the source of his reading material.
- This total stranger could actually have a subscription to the magazine.
- WTF do I do?
If he knows me, then, to be honest, this is a situation I dread most as the consequence of having a blog. People I don't know who know me, or have the impression of knowing me, or certainly know more about me than has been earned in mutual interaction. Initiating a conversation with a stranger is already a massive leap off a cliff for me. Initiating it with someone who is less stranger than stranger;
- He might not know me, and then I'd look like a twat.
- I could simply not question where his acquired the magazine, and just compliment his tastes.
- Is blurting out "I'm an editorial assistant!" kinda, you know, pretentious wankery oh look at me lah-di-dah pat my head and be impressed?
- In every single photo of myself that I post on this blog I look like a bloody muppet,
- I am in respectable office clothes right now and not pulling faces.
- Unless my thinking face is funny.
- It could be.
- Keep your mouth shut. You can't even think coherently, let alone form words. No matter what the actual situation is, you are going to make an arse out of yourself.
- Also, you just left a group because you're an introvert in sore need of some alone time. You can't do social right now.
- Plus, you're stupid. Remember? You got up this morning. That was a stupid thing to do. Don't bring any more stupid upon yourself. Don't inflict it on other people either.
EXIT TRAIN DOORS: a ginger nut in a grey and red striped top reading the latest issue of Weird Tales.
-total brain freeze.
The fact that I didn't have far to go was going to be my polite and fast escape if the conversation was a mistake.
The fact that he got off at my stop effectively nutted my Plan B.
The Moral Of The Story:
- Hello ginger nut in the red and grey striped top. If you are in fact a reader, dude, you get so many kudos for reading Weird Tales.
- Sorry for not saying hi.
- And yeah, I really am a neurotic anti-social misanthropic introverted cranky hermit crab.