Thursday, February 04, 2010

The Ghost of Harddrive Past

Eddie's first brain is dead. Long live Eddie. New brain has been installed. They don't make small 80GB brains anymore, so his brain is much bigger now.

Backups of all important work exists and is current.

Unfortunately, backups of files that are no longer active (not being worked on) were not so good. Or at least, if a backup of said files exists, I've put it in a Safe Place, which is pretty much the same as it not existing. One such casualty, in fact the only casualty I care about, is my Japan trip journal.

Most of it is online here, but there's still some two weeks of the trip I had yet to load up, and they're the best two weeks, Hokkaido, oh, Hokkaido, and uuuuurgh.

I didn't sleep well last night. It's hard to sleep when you're kicking yourself in the head repeatedly.

Data recovery is not cheap.

But trip journals stay with you for life. Travel writing is armchair travel, even more vivid when it's not poking your imagination, but nudging your memory. I'm buying my sixty-seven year old self a present (that's how I'm justifying it, at any rate).

And if any of you know where I put my legitimate paid-money-for copy of MS Office for Mac, I'd really appreciate a tip.

3 comments:

  1. Shit. That is some sucky data to lose. Don't kick yourself about paying to recover it. (And don't kick yourself too hard about losing it. The recovery costs are enough kicking.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heh, nice to have my decision validated. The costs keep making me have second thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you can do it and still, you, know, eat and pay rent, do it. You can go back to Hokkaido, but you can never go back for the first time.

    ReplyDelete