Monday, February 22, 2010

: )

My resolution for last year was quite specific: when walking along a relatively empty street on my own, with an individual also on their own walking towards me, to stop ducking my head and looking away as passing, and instead look 'em straight in the eye and give them a big ol' smile.

Which is actually pretty fun, especially when your target is really uncomfortable and off-put by being smiled at. I'm not even pretending to have good intentions.

Aside from giving me practice at meeting people's eyes, it also worked towards shaping my face. I do not fear wrinkles, as some might, but I do not want the wrong wrinkles. In particular I do not want to get a puckered mouth that looks like I've been sucking lemons my whole life. Those mouths some women have where the lipstick bleeds out from the lips. Those sour disapproving mouths.

I don't want one of them because I don't want a life that will give me one.

The last few months the ratio of amiable smiling to angry lemon mouth has been shifting for the worse. It's been a losing battle to crack a smile without a whole lot of provocation, and even then the smiles are really bad. I made some great headway into developing a cat's bum mouth.

Today was my first day in the new office. The people are not nuts. It's cozy and sane.

I worked the whole day and my hands did not hurt.

I. Am. So. Happy.

I'm going to get the right wrinkles.

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I'm getting pout and sneer lines. Maybe try a slight, very slight smile? Just enough to say 'I'm not a psychopath, but if I were, it'd be my own little secret'?

    Very happy for your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mistress Kirsten you are a total fibber and spinner of falsehoods. Your face is entirely immune to the developing of any such lines, I have seen it with my own eyes.

    ReplyDelete