Tuesday, June 05, 2007

and the world just happens

A couple of family members who I happen to live with forgot my birthday was imminent. One them only remembered 8 hours before the clock ticked over midnight because the one family member that did remember asked if they remembered.

The fact that I forgot my birthday was coming too is quite irrelevent.

The only way to sing in such a birthday is to go and harass online roleplayers while in a mildly intoxicated state until 3 in the morning. Far more entertaining than it sounds.

Last year, I was proud to turn 25. It's a nice shiny number, 25, and a big number at that. Look how long I've hung around this Earth, 25 years, remarkable!

This year, not so much.

I am 26 years old and I still live with my parents, in the same room I spent the first 18 years of my life. I have a university degree that is useless, and a job that does nothing, goes nowhere, provides me with no skills I can apply elsewhere, and is neither challenging or stimulating. I don't have a significant other of any description, or children, or the potential for either on the horizon. I haven't seen the world, I haven't changed the world, I have achieved nothing of significance and I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED WRITING A BOOK. ANY FUCKING BOOK.

The cake was nice though.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous5/6/07 13:31

    Well, Happy Birthday anyways!

    In light of this post I think I'm going to skip my birthday this year. Doesn't sound like it's worth it.

    Haha, I like the idea of harassing online people while drunk though. That does sound fun.

    Have some more cake. *hug*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatchoo talkin' about, Selena? You just moved out of home, score one Selena!

    I was kinda hoping to pick up on the harassing again tonight, alas, no one has come out to play.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5/6/07 13:41

    >I don't have a significant other of any description, or children, or the potential for either on the horizon. I haven't seen the world, I haven't changed the world, I have achieved nothing of significance and I STILL HAVEN'T FINISHED WRITING A BOOK. ANY FUCKING BOOK.<

    Well, I've travelled a fair bit, but otherwise, SNAP! And I'm 41.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chris, having more years than me means you're older, wiser, and less likely to mope about like Hamlet.


    At least, I hope so. Oh please say it is so.


    Thanks, guys. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still <3 you, Tess.

    Happy birthday. *smooch*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous5/6/07 14:02

    It is so. :)

    Definitely older. Maybe just a little wiser. And my moments of Hamlet-like moping have dwindled with age.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Um...I still live in the house where I grew up. I moved out of my room and into my mom's room a couple of weeks ago (you know, the one next to the bathroom? the "good" room? yeah, only took me 8 years).

    No kids. Don't even have a job to bitch about right now. But I finally have a relationship, and I've got enough stoopid happy to share, so here (*pushes some over*), have some.

    Love you :) Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday, Tessa.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous5/6/07 20:45

    You have friends who care about you, a way with words most people could only dream of having, several published short stories, enough income to be able to travel and buy books, and a mind capable not only of surviving university, but of walking away from it with a degree. (In addition to this you also have bouts of enough emo-angst to humble a dozen teenage livejournalers, which is no mean feat!) ;)

    *hugs*

    And happy birthday. *sends such happy vibes as he has to share across to ocean*

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahaa! Aanimal, that just cracked me up!

    Thanks guys. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. at least you got cake ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous6/6/07 16:00

    /belated birthday greetings

    ReplyDelete
  13. come visit me in taiwan! that'll knock out at least one of those things.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous16/6/07 11:15

    Hey Tess. It's Donna (from Canberra). How are you going?
    I haven't published a book yet either. And as I'm still working on my MS(s)...I haven't conquered the world either. Or changed it. Actually I haven't even discussed it at length.

    ReplyDelete