Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Just lay it all down. Put your face into my neck and let it all fall out.
I know
I know
I know.
I knew before you came home.
This world you're in now,
It doesn't have to be alone,
I'll get there somehow, 'cos
I know
I know
I know
When even springtime feels cold.

But I will learn to breathe this ugliness you see,
So we both can be there and we both can share the dark.
And in our honesty, together we will rise,
Out of our nightminds, and into the light
At the end of the fight.

You were blessed by a different kind of inner view: it's all magnified.
The highs would make you fly, and the lows make you want to die.
And I was once there, hanging from that very ledge where you are standing.
So I know
I know
I know.
It's easier to let go.

But I will learn to breathe this ugliness you see,
So we can both be there and we can both share the dark.
And in our honesty, together we will rise out of our nightminds
And into the light at the end of the fight.

--"Nightminds", Missy Higgins, The Sound of White

See? It's possible to write a pop song about depression and not have it be a self-indulgent, self-centred, selfish whinge from a whiny bitch who can't take responsibility for their own life and sit around angsting about how no one else is popping out of the air to make it all better for them, 'cause they're stuck sitting on their sorry arse feeling sorry for themselves.

Pardon me. Touchy subject. Lot of weenies out there giving the sads a bad name.

Not that Missy Higgins has it right. Understanding is all very well, but in those lines she's promising to jump down the hole with them.
No. Just, no.

No comments:

Post a Comment